TEMPLE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL
Since 1892, Temple University Hospital (formerly the Samaritan Hospital) has served the Philadelphia community and beyond as a lead healthcare provider. Located just 2 miles north up Broad Street from Temple University’s main campus, the hospital is located on the corner of Ontario Street.
Temple University Hospital currently has 593-beds and more than 80,000 emergency room visits in a year. It also serves as the chief clinical training site for the Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University, training the future physicians and medical professionals of Philadelphia. Plus, the hospital hosts the school’s 22 residency programs and 21 fellowship programs.
The hospital has recently received several accolades for its service and work, including recognition as one of the “Best Hospitals in Pennsylvania” by US News & World Report and a #1 ranking in the nation for lung transplant volume in 2017 by United Network for Organ Sharing. Not to mention, dozens of physicians have been featured as “Top Doctors” by Philadelphia Magazine.
As Temple University Health System expanded and became a leader in healthcare in the city, PIDC assisted by providing RACP grants, tax-exempt financing, and a 2005 Welcome Fund loan. Plus, PIDC assisted by providing real estate transactions.